A new version of FritzFrog botnet has been seen by researchers that has a unique function through which it’s using the Tor proxy chain.
This botnet has been specifically targeting the Education institutions, Government entitled and healthcare sectors along with an exposed SSH server.
This malware has been written in Golang, considered as one of the advanced and sophisticated threats.
FritzFrog is considered a next-generation botnet, and it has been remarked because of the combination of properties that make it unique, it’s aggressive, it’s C2C constantly updated and efficient
The global networks of sensors have detected nearly 24000 attacks, and not only that, even the operators of the botnet have claimed that they had implemented a total of 1500 attacks. Most of the attacks took place in China, but it has also targeted the European Tv network, Russian healthcare, and many other universities in East Asia.
This new version has a unique function, and not only this, but it has been written in Golang, and it’s quite sophisticated malware. While this malware is being packed with UPX, and it has a total of four processes like:-
The malware usually gets executed under one particular process at one time. FritzFrog keeps getting updated on a daily basis, and sometimes it gets updated multiple times a day; therefore, it’s remarked as one of the most sophisticated and advanced botnets.
All the admins of data center servers, routers, and cloud instances are required to stay alert, as the FritzFrog targets any device that reveals an SSH server.
- Running processes named nginx, ifconfig, php-fpm, apache2, or libexec, whose executable file no longer exists on the file system.
- Listening on port 1234.
- TCP traffic over port 5555 implies network traffic to the Monero pool.
- Always allow the system login auditing with a warning.
- Always monitor the authorized_hosts file on Linux.
- Always configure explicit allow list of SSH login.
- Always allow root SSH access.
- Always allow the cloud-based DNS protection with threats and extraneous business apps like coin mining set to block