Offensive Security released Kali Linux 2021.4, which comes with a number of improvements:
The summary of the changelog since the 2021.3 release from September 2021 is:
- Improved Apple M1 support
- Wide compatibility for Samba
- Switching package manager mirrors
- Kaboxer theming
- Updates to Xfce, GNOME and KDE
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + USBArmory MkII ARM images
- More tools
Samba Client, Kaboxer theme support
Starting Kali Linux 2021.4, the Samba client is now configured for Wide Compatibility so that it can connect to pretty much every Samba server out there, regardless of the version of the protocol in use. This change should make it easier to discover vulnerable Samba servers “out of the box”, without having to configure Kali.
With the latest update of Kaboxer tools no longer look out of place, as it brings support for window themes and icon themes. This allows the program to properly integrate with the rest of the desktop and avoids the usage of ugly fallback themes.
Here is a comparison of how zenmap looks with the default Kali Dark theme, compared to the old appearance:
New Tools in Kali Linux 2021.4
- Duffle Bag – Search exposed EBS volumes for secrets
- Maryam – Open-source Intelligence (OSINT) Framework
- Name-That-Hash – Do not know what type of hash it is? Name That Hash will name that hash type!
- Proxmark3 – if you are into Proxmark3 and RFID hacking
- Reverse Proxy Grapher – graphviz graph illustrating your reverse proxy flow
- S3Scanner – Scan for open S3 buckets and dump the contents
- Spraykatz – Credentials gathering tool automating remote procdump and parse of lsass process
- truffleHog – Searches through git repositories for high entropy strings and secrets, digging deep into commit history
- Web of trust grapher (wotmate) – reimplement the defunct PGP pathfinder without needing anything other than your own keyring
The Social-Engineer Toolkit
The NetHunter app now includes The Social-Engineer Toolkit. You can now use the Kali NetHunter app to customize your own Facebook, Messenger, or Twitter direct message email notifications for your social engineering attacks:
Kali ARM Updates
Here are the key updates for Kali ARM:-
- All images now use ext4 for their root filesystem and resize the root filesystem on the first boot.
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W support and PiTail image has been added.
- Raspberry Pi images now support USB booting.
- Raspberry Pi images now include versioned Nexmon firmware.
- Setting your country will give you access to the channels properly for wireless.
- Pinebook Pro can now be overclocked.
- USBArmory MkII image has been added.