IT services provider Sopra Steria has confirmed that it was hit by a “new version” of the Ryuk ransomware that was “previously unknown to antivirus software providers and security agencies”.
The French-headquartered company detected the cyberattack on 20 October and made it public the following day.
Rreports pointed to hackers using Ryuk ransomware to target Sopra Steria’s Active Directory infrastructure. This saw some IT systems encrypted and payment demanded to unlock them.
Sopra Steria said it has made the virus signature of the new Ryuk ransomware strain available to “all antivirus software providers” so that they can update their defences.
Sopra Steria said that the ransomware attack was launched “a few days before it was detected”, which meant the virus was contained to a “limited part of the Group’s infrastructure”.
It has been revealed that Ryuk operators exploited the Netlogon vulnerability CVE 2020-1472 which hits the domain controllers and exfilterates the data. Microsoft released the patch for this Exploit in August
The company, which provides IT outsourcing services to the NHS and Home Office, said it has not identified any leaked data or damage to client networks.
It may take few weeks for services to up across geographies.
A cyber attack at Dr Reddy’s Laboratories has prompted a temporary shutdown of its key production plants across the world, confirmed the pharma company’s filing to the stock exchange on Thursday.
The data breach reportedly occurred at the company’s key plants in the United States, United Kingdom, Brazil, India, and Russia. The share price of Dr Reddy’s dropped as much as 4.3% following the news of the data breach.
This comes just days after the Drugs Controller General of India greenlighted phase II and III trials of Sputnik-V in India on 17 October.
"We are anticipating all services to be up within 24 hours and we do not foresee any major impact on our operations due to this", said Mukesh Rathi, CIO, Dr Reddy'saboratories, stating they have detected a cyber attack.
The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and Dr Reddy’s entered into a partnership to conduct clinical trials for the Russian coronavirus vaccine in India in September. As part of the cooperation, the RDIF will supply 100 million vaccine doses to Dr Reddy’s upon regulatory approval in India.
Sputnik V, developed by the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology and produced in conjunction with the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), became the world’s first registered vaccine against the coronavirus.
A new Chrome version has released to patch a zeroday … And the version is 86.0.4240.111 stable version from chrome
The reason for making sure you’ve got this particular update is not only that five security bugs have been patched, including one buffer overflow and three use-after-free vulnerabilities, but also that one of these bugs, designated CVE-2020-15999, is already known to attackers.
As the update notification states, “Google is aware of reports that an exploit for CVE-2020-15999 exists in the wild.”
The bug is described as a heap buffer overflow in Freetype, where Freetype is an open source font rendering software toolkit that allows programmers to support the use of all sorts of modern font files and formats in their applications.
Many web pages these days include special versions of the fonts they need – a corporate typeface, for instance – and these files, known as WOFFs, short for Web Open Font Format, are downloaded into your browser to use as required.
WOFF files are used not only so that websites can rely on fonts that a user is unlikely already to have installed, but also so that they can depend access to specific version of a font that supports particular characters or character sets that might otherwise be missing or display incorrectly.
We’re guessing, therefore, that this bug could be exploited by luring you to a web page that contained an innocent-looking but booby-trapped font file that deliberately triggered the bug, either when the font was loaded or when specific text was displayed.
Despite an attack already being known in the wild, Google has included its customary notification that the update will “roll out over the coming days/weeks”, presumably because some Chrome users may be dependent on a vendor to push out fixes.
NSA released the top most bugs that are exploited actively by Chinese Hackers. Though all exploits are patchable and can be closed, it’s active still
Let’s see the top 25 exploits from recet to past
1) CVE-2019-11510 – Pulse Secure VPN servers, an unauthenticated remote attacker can send a specially crafted URI to perform an arbitrary file reading vulnerability. This may lead to exposure of keys or passwords
2) CVE-2020-5902 – F5 BIG-IP proxies and load balancer, the Traffic Management User Interface (TMUI) —also referred to as the Configuration utility— is vulnerable to a Remote Code Execution (RCE) vulnerability that can allow remote attackers to take over the entire BIG-IP device.
[3+4+5+6]CVE-2019-19781, CVE-2020-8193, CVE-2020-8195, CVE-2020-8196 – Set of Citrix ADC and Gateway bugs. These ones also impact SDWAN WAN-OP systems as well. anonymous access is possible
7) CVE-2019-0708 (BlueKeep) – A remote code execution vulnerability exists within Remote Desktop Services on Windows operating systems.
8) CVE-2020-15505 – A remote code execution vulnerability in the MobileIron mobile device management (MDM) software that allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code and take over remote company servers.
9) CVE-2020-1350 (SIGRed) – A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Windows Domain Name System servers when they fail to properly handle requests.
10) CVE-2020-1472 (Netlogon) – An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists when an attacker establishes a vulnerable Netlogon secure channel connection to a domain controller using the Netlogon Remote Protocol (MS-NRPC).
11) CVE-2019-1040 – A tampering vulnerability exists in Microsoft Windows when a man-in-the-middle attacker is able to successfully bypass the NTLM MIC protection.
12) CVE-2018-6789 – Sending a handcrafted message to an Exim mail transfer agent may cause a buffer overflow. This can be used to execute code remotely and take over email servers.
13) CVE-2020-0688 – A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Microsoft Exchange software when the software fails to properly handle objects in memory.
14) CVE-2018-4939 – Certain Adobe ColdFusion versions have an exploitable Deserialization of Untrusted Data vulnerability. Successful exploitation could lead to arbitrary code execution.
15) CVE-2015-4852 – The WLS Security component in Oracle WebLogic Server allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via a crafted serialized Java object
16) CVE-2020-2555 – A vulnerability exists in the Oracle Coherence product of Oracle Fusion Middleware.
17) CVE-2019-3396 – The Widget Connector macro in Atlassian Confluence 17 Server allows remote attackers to achieve path traversal and remote code execution on a Confluence Server or Data Center instance via server-side template injection.
18) CVE-2019-11580 – Attackers who can send requests to an Atlassian Crowd or Crowd Data Center instance can exploit this vulnerability to install arbitrary plugins, which permits remote code execution.
19) CVE-2020-10189 – Zoho ManageEngine Desktop Central allows remote code execution of deserialization of untrusted data.
20) CVE-2019-18935 – Progress Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX contains a .NET deserialization vulnerability. Exploitation can result in remote code execution.
21) CVE-2020-0601 (aka CurveBall) – A spoofing vulnerability exists in the way Windows CryptoAPI (Crypt32.dll) validates Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) certificates. An attacker could exploit the vulnerability by using a spoofed code-signing certificate to sign a malicious executable, making to look a like legitimate.
22) CVE-2019-0803 – An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in Windows when the Win32k component fails to properly handle objects in memory.
23) CVE-2017-6327 – The Symantec Messaging Gateway can encounter a remote code execution issue.
24) CVE-2020-3118 – A vulnerability in the Cisco Discovery Protocol implementation for Cisco IOS XR Software could allow an unauthenticated, adjacent attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a reload an affected device.
25) CVE-2020-8515 – DrayTek Vigor devices allow remote code execution as root without credentials via shell metacharacters.